Diet that covers a whole range of colors and is fresh is usually covering a lot of the recommended intake of vitamins and minerals. Vitamins and minerals are better absorbed in its natural form than in supplements. Studies show that about 76%of adults do not take the required amount of fruits and vegetables.
Now, each color indicates different nutrients that can help and support different parts of your body. It also helps strengthen your immune system. Besides, the very appearance brings a sense of healthy pleasure. Studies indicate that Infertility from ovulation disorders was related to a diet high in trans fats, animal proteins and carbohydrates. It goes to show that many adults miss out on nutrients that are available from plant sources.
Red fruits and vegetables contain carotenoids and flavonoids which act as anti-oxidants in the body. They also contain Vit C. So look out for the following veggies to add flavor and variety to your diet – red cabbage, beetroot, radishes, tomatoes, red grapes, pomegranates, red capsicum or pepper and strawberries.
Orange and Yellow
The orange and yellow fruits and veggies contain essential minerals and vitamins like Vitamin C, folic acid and potassium. Eg- yellow capsicum, lemons, oranges, sweet melon, pineapple papaya, turmeric and sweet corn.
Greens are a storehouse of essential nutrients like vitamin A and K and potassium. They also provide significant amount of calcium and aid in detox.Take whatever greens that you can add to your salad plate or in a sandwich or blend a few leaves in your favourite smoothie or drink.
Blues and purples
These plants and fruits are rich in certain pigments that act as antioxidants. Few examples of these are Eggplants, purple cabbage, purple potatoes, prunes (also rich in iron), figs, plums, grapes.The other foods that enhance your rate of fertility are:
- Eggs– they are one of the most complete foods that contain a lot of the essential vitamins and minerals and protein. They also have a very high satiety score so you won’t feel hungry soon. Ideal for breakfast.
- Almonds– they contain high amounts of magnesium which in turn assists oestrogen transportation. Magnesium deficiency is not addressed as much as it should be. It leads to tiredness, cramps, insomnia or difficulty falling asleep, inability to handle stress well, PMS, infertility and increased risk of miscarriage.
- Lemons-they contain Vitamin C and it has been shown to increase sperm count in men. In women it aids ovulation and fertility.
- Avocados – have been known since ancient time to promote good quality of sperm and motility.
• All said and done, we want to stick to eating 80% of fresh foods. If processed foods can be avoided totally it would be more beneficial.
• Coffee is best avoided to just 2 small 150 ml cups per day. Herbal teas – consult your doctor to know more.
• Stay hydrated. Drink about 2-3 litres a day; helps to maintain the required pH of the body fluids. If water gets boring to have, you can mix in watermelon, mint leaves, lemon, oranges, ginger, etc to make the taste interesting and palatable.
• When in doubt of any foods avoid it. Ask your physician before proceeding.
- **Please note that this diet is a general guideline for those under infertility treatment and is not personalized to diabetics or those suffering from thyroid or other health issues. Do take a consult to know more about what diet suits you